Monday, April 2, 2012

Cinnamon Streusel Muffins


One of the best gifts Zach ever gave me was a subscription to Southern Living magazine.  As a result, he gets lots of yummy treats - and they never disappoint!  I love to bake.  LOVE it.  It is a wonderful stress reliever for me.  Unfortunately, since I don't eat gluten, I rarely get to enjoy the baked goods.  This time around, the church worship band members were my guinea pigs.... I don't think they minded too much!

Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Muffin Batter:
4 cups all-purpose baking mix (I used Bisquick!)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2/3 cup chunky cinnamon applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs

Cinnamon Streusel Topping: 
1/3 cup granulated sugar  
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 
3 tablespoons all-purpose baking mix 
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
2 tablespoons butter, melted 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Whisk together the baking mix, granulated sugar, and cinnamon, and make a well in the mixture.
Next, whisk together the applesauce, milk, oil, and eggs and slowly mix into the dry mixture above until just moistened.  It will make a VERY thick batter.
What I wouldn't give for a Kitchen Aid mixer!
Now for the topping.  Simply mix all of the ingredients together until crumbly!  I added granulated sugar until it had the right consistency. It was ~ 1/8 cup more sugar.
Line your muffin pan with paper liners and fill each cup almost all the way with batter! This will give you big, beautiful muffin tops (hehe!).  Crumble your streusel topping on top of each muffin, gently patting into the batter so it sticks.
 Bake at 400° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and tops are golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to let cool!
Gorgeous! Someone told me they looked store-bought.  I'll take it as a compliment! Don't think you can eat all these muffins (12) before they go stale?  They freeze well for up to a month!  Enjoy, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment